Most efforts so far to understand disease at a genetic level have been too limited in their scope and depth?
Most critical mutations are found in regions of the genome that control how and whether genes are expressed, and that understanding these can inform the development of medicines for diseases that were intractable with earlier, genomics-based approaches.
Co-founded by Flagship Pioneering, Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS) is advancing a new wave of medicines to control the expression of genes. The genes expressed—turned on, off, up or down—in any given cell determine its type and function, and when the wrong genes are expressed at the wrong time or in the wrong amounts, it can lead to disease. Because gene expression is fundamental to all cells, Syros believes that the company’s pioneering approach has potential to lead to better medicines for patients with a range of diseases that have largely eluded other genomics-based approaches.
Syros’ Gene Control Platform
Syros’ is the first platform dedicated to the regulatory genome to systematically identify disease-causing alterations in gene expression and create medicines that control the expression of genes with the aim of providing a profound and durable benefit for patients with diseases that have largely eluded other genomics-based approaches.
While much of targeted drug discovery has focused on inhibiting or otherwise changing the function of abnormal genes and proteins, many more diseases could be addressed by modulating the expression of both abnormal and normal genes, turning them on, off, up or down. Syros’ unique ability to elucidate regulatory regions of the genome allows us to home in on which genes to control, in which cells, for which patients, and how best to modulate the expression of those genes to maximize the chances of providing a profound benefit and durable for patients.
Syros’ approach begins and ends with the patient and harnesses the collective power of regulatory genomics, disease biology and small molecule transcriptional chemistry.
Syros is advancing a growing pipeline of investigational gene control medicines for diseases that have largely eluded other genomics-based approaches. The company’s current focus is on cancer, including immuno-oncology, and genetic diseases.
Latest Press from Syros Pharmaceuticals
- Syros Announces Appointment of Mark Alles to Its Board of Directors 12.20.2019
- GBT and Syros Partner to Discover, Develop and Commercialize Novel Therapies for Sickle Cell Disease and Beta Thalassemia 12.18.2019
- Flagship Pioneering Names Dr. Nancy Simonian, CEO of Syros, as Recipient of the 2019 Pioneering Leader Award 12.02.2019
- Syros Announces New Data from Phase 2 Trial of SY-1425 in Combination with Azacitidine Demonstrating High Response Rates, Rapid Onset of Action and Favorable Tolerability Profile in RARA-Positive Newly Diagnosed Unfit AML Patients 10.24.2019
- Syros Announces Update on Selective CDK7 Inhibitor Portfolio 10.17.2019
- New Publication in Cancer Research Highlights Discovery of SY-1365, a First-in-Class Selective CDK7 Inhibitor, and its Promise as a Potentially Transformative Targeted Approach for Difficult-to-Treat Cancers 05.07.2019